SOA architecture – what is it?
The SOA architecture defines how software components are prepared for reuse, all through service interfaces. Common communication standards are used by the interfaces in a way that allows them to be quickly incorporated into new applications without the need for in-depth integration.
Each SOA service involves the integration of code and data to accomplish a business task. For example, it could be processing a mortgage application or checking a customer’s funds.
Services are communicated through standard network protocols – SOAP (Simple Object Access Protocol)/HTTP or JSON/HTTP. They are published in a way that allows developers to find them quickly and reuse them to create a new application.
Evolution of programming and application integration methods
The past few decades have seen the development of programming methods and application integration. Before SOA architecture was created, complex integration had to be done to connect applications to either data or functions in another system. It was then up to programmers to recreate it either partially or completely in each new programming project. With SOA, there is no need to recreate this kind of advanced integration every time.
SOA architecture – benefits for the company
Companies that opt for the SOA model are able to significantly improve their operations. Here’s a look at the benefits of implementing this solution:
- Improved business agility and reduced time to market – Building applications using reusable service interfaces save time on rewriting and re-integration in each new project. In this way, developers can create applications much faster;
- The ability to use traditional functions in new markets – the SOA architecture, created in the right way, makes it easy for developers to extract functions “locked down” on one computing platform or environment, and later extend them to new environments and markets;
- Better integration of commercial activities with IT – SOA information systems architecture allows defining services in a business category. It is easier for business analysts to work with developers to get the information they need, enabling better results.
Companies that have deployed SOA architecture
SOA architecture has been implemented by major companies in almost every industry, such as:
- Delaware Electric – opted for SOA to integrate systems, thereby improving its design efficiency and maintaining profitability during a government energy price freeze that lasted five years;
- Cisco – chose an SOA model to create a consistent product ordering environment across all channels by making its order fulfillment processes available in a service model. The processes could be deployed across Cisco department sites, acquired companies, and business partners;
- Independence Blue Cross (IBC) – this company’s SOA implementation allowed different patient data handlers to use the same data sources.
Savangard – let us help you implement the SOA model into your enterprise
We hope that our article has helped you understand what SOA is. Integrating IT systems using this technology, will improve the processes and flow of information in your company. Growing companies need modern solutions that are tailored to the specifics of their business. This makes work more efficient and reduces costs.
Savangard offers professional IT services for companies – it helps integrate IT systems using SOA, B2B, and ESB. It automates business processes and offers proprietary solutions for various industries.
In consultation with the client, we select the most advantageous form of cooperation. We not only introduce new solutions but also provide support to guarantee the continuity of IT systems. Our activities cover many sectors – financial, insurance, energy and utilities, telecommunications, transportation, and logistics, as well as the public sector. Extensive experience and knowledge enable us to use and combine the current mechanisms of the organization. Our services are used by companies from many countries around the world.